EMS induced mutagenicity in pollen mother cells of Sesbania Pea (Sesbania cannabina Poir.)
Keywords: Sesbania cannabina, ethyl methane sulphonate (EMS), chromosomal aberrations, bridges.
AbstractMutagenic effect of EMS on pollen mother cells of Sesbania cannabina has been investigated in the present cytogenetical
observation. The progenies were obtained from seeds treated with four different time durations (1, 3, 5, and 7 hours) of 0.5%
solution of ethyl methane sulphonate (EMS). Study revealed various types of chromosomal aberrations at different doses of
EMS. Increase in chromosomal aberrations was dose dependent manner. Pollen mother cells of Sesbania cannabina exhibited an
increased incidence of chromosomal bridges, unorientation, laggards and precocious movement etc. at each dose of treatment.
Anaphasic and telophasic bridges were major abnormalities and found to be highest at 3 hr dose of treatment. Anaphasic bridges
were more prominent than telophasic bridges and percentages of different types of bridges at anaphase and telophase were also
studied and scored.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.