Combining ability for seed yield, its components and oil content in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.)
The experimental material was developed by crossing newly developed seven lines and eight testers in Line x Tester fashion. Parents and their 56 hybrids were evaluated in randomized block design with three replications at Oilseed Research Unit, Dr. PDKV, Akola during kharif 2014 to estimate the combining ability effects. Among the parents CMS-243A, RHA-138-2R and AKSF-14R were found to be best general combiners for most of the yield contributing traits, seed yield and oil content. Line CMS-234A and AKSF-8R were also found to be good general combiner for oil content, thus these parents should be included in future hybridization programme for improvement in seed yield as well as oil content in sunflower. On the basis of mean performance, specific combining ability effects of crosses and general combining ability effects of the parents, three crosses viz., CMS-243A x AKSF-8R, CMS-234A x RHA-138-2R and CMS-234A x AKSF-6R were identified as promising crosses for seed yield and as well as oil content.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.