Combining ability analysis in the inter subspecific crosses of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.) and yard long bean (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp. spp. sesquipedalis)
Keywords: Cowpea, combining ability, inter subspecific crosses, line x tester analysis
AbstractThe study was carried out to determine combining ability analysis among crosses derived from 11 selected cowpea genotypes. Six lines and five testers were crossed in L x T fashion and 30 hybrids were synthesized. Genotypes GC 3, Co 6, ACM 05-07, RC 101, Co(CP)7, and ACM 05-02 belonging to Vigna unguiculata were used as lines. Vellayani Local, Ettumanoor Local, Vyjayanthi and Vellayani jyothica belonging to Vigna unguiculata spp. sesquipedalis and VBN 2 belonging to Vigna unguiculata were used as testers. The results indicated the presence of both additive and non-additive genetic components for most of the traits. Based on the general combing ability, the parents GC 3, RC 101, Vyjayanthi and Vellayani jyothica were selected as good combiners. The most promising specific combiners for yield and yield components were GC 3 x Vellayani local, GC 3 x Vellayani jyothica, ACM 05-07 x VBN 2, ACM 05-07 x Vyjayanthi, RC 101 x Vellayani jyothica and ACM 05-02 x Vyjayanthi.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.