Combining ability in watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.) Mansf.)
In the present investigation, the nature and magnitude of combining ability effects in twenty-eight crosses of watermelon
involving eight parents were studied for fruit yield and its components. The variances due to specific combining ability
were higher in magnitude than that of general combining ability variances for all the characters (except for total soluble
solids) indicating predominance role of non-additive gene action for all the traits. Parents, RW-187-2, GP-42 and GP-10(b)
were good general combiner for all the four traits. The cross combination viz., GP-42 x GP-42 (b), RW-187-2 x Sonam, GP42
x Sonam, GP-42 (b) x Sonam, RW-187-2 x GP-42 (b), GP-10 (b) x RW-187-2,GP-10 (b) x GP-42, GP-33 x GP-1-27,
GP-10 (b) x Durgapura Lal, RW-187-2 x Durgapura Lal and RW-187-2 x GP-42 were found to be good specific cross
combiners for fruit yield per plant. The crosses exhibiting high specific combining ability for fruit yield also have high or
average combining ability for yield components. The crosses showing high specific combining ability involved at least one
high general combining parent.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.