Diversity analysis among opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.) crosses and parents using RAPD
The RAPD analysis was carried out with 28 crosses, 8 parents and 2 checks of opium poppy. Purified and isolated DNA was subjected to PCR based marker (RAPD) for assessment of genetic diversity. The quality of DNA was determined by calculating ratio between A260 and A280 observed between 1.857 to 2.167 which indicated a good quality of plant DNA. The concentration of DNA ranged between 123 µg/µl (UOP-60 x UOP- 99) to 750 µg/µl (UOP-79 x UOP- 80). In the RAPD analysis 12 primers gave good amplified products with template DNA. Polymorphism shown by 12 primers ranged between 50 per cent (OPP-02) to 100 per cent (OPA-01, OPA-08, OPB-06 and OPD-05). Average polymorphism was found to be 84.80 per cent. From RAPD profiling similarly matrix was obtained and Jaccard’s similarity coefficient lies between 0.57 (UOP-69 x UOP-80) to 0.95 (UOP-53 x UOP-79) with an average of 0.79. On this basis a dendrogram was constructed with UPGMA method. Dendrogram differentiate 28 crosses, eight parents and to checks of opium poppy into one major and four minor groups. Further genetically diverse parents and crosses can be alternatively used for accumulating favourable genes so as to finally improve the productivity.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.