Variability for cane yield and quality characters among full-sib progenies of sugarcane (Saccharum spp) on family basis
Keywords: Sugarcane, variability, full-sib progenies, cane yield and quality
AbstractForty-six sugar cane families were studied for ratooning ability based on family mean, in a completely randomized block
design with two replications at the Sugarcane Breeding Institute (ICAR), Coimbatore. Out of the 46 families, 30 biperental
families were further studied for intra-family variation for population characters, cane characters, quality characters and
clump yield. The family 87A298 x Co 1148 produced better variance for tillers counts where as two families CoH 110 x
984843 and 984843 x Co 1148 had shown maximum variances for number of millable cane. CoJ 72 x Co 62198 produced
wider variances for stalk height and internode length where as for clump yield and internode number the variance was found
to be maximum in the family 9869110 x Co 1148. The family 985931 x Co 779 showed maximum variance for stalk
diameter. Two families viz., CoJ 72 x Co 62198 and Co 85002 x 971862 recorded the highest variances for hand
refractometer brix at 300 days and 330 days respectively. The family 87A298 x Co 1148 showed high level of variances for
clump yield and juice quality indicating the scope for simultaneous selection of clones for both the traits within this family.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.