Character association and component analysis in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)
Keywords: Genetic variability, Heritability, Genetic advance, PCV and GCV, Correlation, Path-coefficient
AbstractCharacter association and component analysis studies in bread wheat germplasm were conducted under Rabi seasons of 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, in field experimentation centre of Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding Allahabad Agriculture Institute-Deemed University, Allahabad. All the characters revealed high differences, high value of GCV and PCV in both years of Rabi seasons for seed yield per plant, effective tillers per plant and 1000 grain weight. Seed yield showed positive and significant correlation with effective tillers per plant, grains per spike, spike length and 1000 grain weight both at genotypic and phenotypic level in 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 crop seasons. Seed yield per plant showed positive direct effect on effective tillers per plant, plant height, 1000 grain weight and days to maturity. Thus, these characters may be effective as selection indices during breeding programme for improving yield.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.