Heterosis and variability studies for yield and yield components traits in pearl millet [Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br.]
The experiment was conducted to study the heterosis and variability parameters by using 41 hybrids along with a check during kharif 2015. The per se performance and standard heterosis revealed that the hybrids viz., NHB 999, NPH-5286, AHB-1157 and 86M90 were found to be superior for single plant yield along with days to 50 per cent flowering, days to maturity, plant height, number of productive tillers per plant, earhead length and 1000 seed weight. High level of phenotypic coefficient of variation was observed than the genotypic coefficient of variation for all the studied traits. High heritability along with high genetic advance as per cent of mean was observed in number of productive tillers per plant, 1000 seed weight, seed set per cent and single plant yield. Single plant yield positively and significantly correlated with plant height, 1000 seed weight and seed set per cent. These traits could be used as selection indices for pearl millet yield improvement.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.