DUS Characterization of rice (Oryza sativa L.) landraces of wayanad, kerala
Sixty landraces of rice (Oryza sativa L.), including the aromatic genotypes collected from different parts of Wayanad, Kerala, and were characterized for both qualitative and quantitative characters following the guidelines from the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV) and Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmer's Rights Authority (PPV&FRA). The experiment was conducted in Augmented Block Design with three check varieties (Kanchana, Uma and Aathira). Out of 25 descriptors studied, three characteristics were found monomorphic, seven were dimorphic, six were of trimorphic, seven were tetramorphic and decorticated grain shape showed five states of expression, and lemma and palea colour recorded six states of expression. This detailed characterization of Wayanad rice landraces is very important for rice breeding from the standpoint of selection and conservation of different landraces for further utilization in crop improvement programmes and also to seek protection under PPV&FR Act, 2001 of India.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.