Combining ability analysis for yield related traits in F2 generation of sesame (Sesamum indicum L.)
Keywords: Sesame, General combining ability, Specific combining ability, F2 generation.
AbstractAn attempt was made to study the general and specific combining ability in sesame through 6 x 6 diallel analysis for yield and yield contributing characters viz., days to 50 % flowering, days to maturity, plant height, height to first capsule, number of branches per plant, number of internodes per plant, length of capsule, width of capsule, number of capsules per plant, number of capsules per leaf axil, number of seeds per capsule, 1000-seed weight, oil content and seed yield per plant. The analysis of variance for combining ability revealed that the mean squares due to GCA were higher than the corresponding mean squares due to SCA for days to 50 % flowering, plant height, height to first capsule, number of branches per plant, number of internodes per plant, number of capsules per leaf axil and oil content indicating the predominance of the additive type of gene action in the inheritance of these characters. Based on general combining ability, the parents G.Til-1, Borda-1, G.Til-2 and G.Til-10 were good general combiners for seed yield per plant, plant height, number of branches per plant, number of internodes per plant, length of capsule, number of capsules per plant and number of seeds per capsule. Borda-1 x G.Til-10, Kalyanpur-2 x Borda-1, G.Til-1 x Borda-1 and G.Til-2 x China were best specific combiners for seed yield and its components.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.