Combining ability studies for yield and quality traits in aromatic genotypes of rice (Oryza Sativa. L.)
The present investigation was aimed to study the general combining ability of eight aromatic genotypes of rice and specific combining ability of all possible crosses for grain yield and quality traits in 28 F1’s obtained by 8x8 on way Diallel mating design. The estimates of SCA variance were revealed greater than GCA variance for all the characters except days to 50% flowering, days to maturity, plant height, effective tillers/plant and kernel length after cooking. It showed that both the additive as well as non-additive genetic variance exhibited importance for expression of the characters studied. The Parents, Pusa -2517-2-51-1and Pusa Sugandh-5 studied were identified as best general combiner for both yield and quality traits for most of the characters. Crosses, Pusa-2517-2-51-1×Type-3 showed non additive effects for yield traits only. However, the cross Ranbir Basmati x Pusa Basmati-1 showed non additive effects for quality traits. Cross combination viz., Pusa Sugandh-5 x Pusa Basmati-1, Ranbir Basmati x Kasturi Basmati, Kasturi Basmati × Pusa-2517-2-51-1 and Pusa Sugandh-3 x Type-3 showed non additive gene action for most of the yield as well as quality traits. For those traits which showed high performance were under the control of dominance and dominance × dominance gene effects, heterosis breeding would be most effective. Thus, present study aims to develop hybrids performing better for both yield as well as quality traits.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.