Evaluation of wild rice MAGIC population for biophysical parameters and yellow stem borer resistance
Field evaluation of 50 wild rice MAGIC population along with susceptible check, TN 1, stem borer resistant donor O.glaberimma (Acc.No. CG 14) and local checks TRY 2 and TRY 3 was done at Anbil Dharmalingam Agricultural College and Research Institute, Trichy. Five MAGIC genotypes, WRM-6, WRM-12, WRM-57, WRM-111 and WRM-126 showed resistance at the vegetative stage while 12 genotypes viz., WRM-3, WRM-6, WRM-30, WRM-56, WRM-57, WRM-58, WRM-72, WRM-74, WRM-111, WRM-112, WRM-115, WRM-126 along with O.glaberriema showed resistance to yellow stem borer during the reproductive stage. Correlation studies were carried out with biophysical parameters and yellow stem borer damage. Results revealed that the trichome density was significantly negatively correlated whereas, stem girth was significantly positively correlated at the vegetative stage and significantly negatively correlated at the reproductive stage. While, plant height, top internodal length and leaf length were significantly negatively correlated and leaf breadth is significantly positively correlated.
Key words: Yellow stem borer, resistance, wild rice MAGIC population, biophysical characters
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.