Genetic variability in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.)
Keywords: Sesame, variability, heritability, genetic advance, selection.
AbstractGenetic parameters of variability and heritability of different characters were studied in four crosses of sesame. In the present
study, variability parameters were observed in two crosses viz., Paiyur 1 x SVPR 1, F2 of TMV 4 x SVPR 1 and their BC1F1s.
High genotypic coefficient of variability and phenotypic coefficient of variability were observed for number of
branches per plant, number of capsules per plant and seed yield per plant. High heritability along with high genetic
advance as per cent of mean for number of branches per plant, number of capsules per plant and seed yield per plant
will be useful for further breeding programme. Based on per se performance, heritability, genetic advance as per cent of
mean, F2 and BC1F1 of TMV 4 x SVPR 1 were considered as superior crosses. This cross can be subjected to selection
programme to obtain high yielding segregants.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.