Study on combining ability and gene action for yield and its attributes in eggplant (Solanum melongena L.)
Genetical study on fruit yield per plant and its attributing traits along with quality traits like total soluble solids in brinjal were conducted by following line x tester mating design comprising of seven lines and three testers at Instructional Farm, College of Agriculture, Junagadh Agricultural University, Junagadh. The analysis of combing ability revealed the predominant role of both additive and non-additive gene effects in the inheritance of yield and component traits. The genotypes NSR-1, JBG-10-208 and Pant Rituraj, displayed high gca effect for fruit yield per plant and some desirable traits like days to 50 % flowering, days to first picking, fruit girth, fruit weight, numbers of primary branches per plant, plant spread and total soluble solids. The estimates of sca effect of the crosses indicated that five hybrids manifested significant and positive sca effect for fruit yield per plant. Out of these best three specific combinations were JBG-10-208 x GJB-2 followed by ABR-2-23 x GBL-1 and AB-09-1 x
GOB-1. The cross JBG-10-208 x GJB-2 was also found good specific combiner for plant height, fruit weight and fruit girth and number of primary branches per plant and also showed maximum per se performance. These hybrids may be exploited for obtaining transgressive segregants toward developing hybrid varieties in brinjal.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.