Evaluation of brinjal (Solanum melongena L) germplasm for yield and shoot and fruit borer resistance under drip fertigation
An investigation was conducted at the University orchard, Department of Vegetable crops, Horticultural College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore during the year 2010- 2011 to evaluate the germplasm consisted of 182 accessions along with six check varieties viz., Pusa purple Long, Pusa Shyamala, Pusa Kranti, Punjab Sadabahar (received from National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi) and CO1 and CO2 (released from TNAU, Coimbatore) were taken for evaluation. They were evaluated for their plant, fruit characters along with shoot and fruit borer infestation. The study showed that the accessions viz., IC 354546, IC 112736 and EC 467272 were identified as best performers as they showed favourable characters for earliness to flowering and harvest, number of fruits / plant and yield. Also they recorded lowest level of shoot and fruit borer infestation and high marketable yield.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.