Finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.) varietal adaptability in North-Western Himalayan region of India using AMMI and GGE biplot techniques
Keywords: AMMI, Eleusine, Finger millet, GEI, GGE biplot, Stability
AbstractFinger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn. subsp. coracana ) production has become stagnant over the years and one of the possible ways to increase the production can be spread of widely adaptable high yielding cultivars. Five national finger millet cultivars were grown in randomized complete block design at ICAR-Vivekananda Institute of Hill Agriculture for six consecutive years to evaluate the grain yield stability. The grain yield data were subjected to AMMI and GGE biplot techniques for assessing the stability and patterns of GE interaction in finger millet National cultivars. The combined ANOVA showed that finger millet grain yield was significantly affected by environment, which explained 54.67% of the total treatment (G+E+GE) variation, whereas the G and GEI accounted for 10.38% and 34.96%, respectively. The partitioning of GEI sum of squares using AMMI analysis indicated that the first two PCAs were highly significant. The first IPCA axis (IPCA1) accounted for 50.3% of the G×E interaction sum of squares. The second IPCA axis accounted for 38.2% of the interaction sum of squares. Both represented a total of 88.5% variation. AMMI 1 biplot indicated the general adaptation of genotype HR 374 across the environments, whereas the other genotypes showed specific adaptation to one or other environments. GGE-biplot graphical analysis further confirmed the results and revealed that HR 374 as an ideal genotype in terms of high yield and stability followed by RAU 8 as desirable genotype. In our research, both of AMMI and biplot models were successful in assessing the performance of genotypes and the selection of best genotype was identical in both of them.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.