Combining ability for yield and yield components characters of bhendi (Abelmoschus esculentus L. Moench)
An investigation was carried out to study the genetics of fruit yield and its components characters. The present study was made with eight genotypes selected based on D2 Analysis and the parents were crossed to develop fifty six hybrids to estimate mean, general and specific combining ability effect for identifying the best combiners for eight traits, viz.,days to first flowering, plant height, number of branch per plant, number of fruits per plant, fruit length, fruit girth, fruit weight and fruit yield per plant. The general combining ability (GCA) and specific combining ability (SCA) mean squares were highly significant for all the studied characters.The parents P7, Parbhani Kranti and Girijavikas were adjudged as superior for fruit yield per plant and most of the characters. Among the fifty six hybrids. Three hybrids viz,. Parbhani Kranti X Naveena, Naveena X Girijavikas and Arka Abhay X P7 required significant sca effects for six others traits. In the cross revealed combination based on gca and sca effects four crosses namely Parbhani Kranti X P7 (high X high gca parents), Arka Abhay X P7 (low X high gca parents), Parbhani Kranti X Naveena (high X low gca parents) and Naveena X Girijavikas (low X low gca parents) are suggested to improve the fruit yield per plant through heterosis breeding and their use in commercial cultivation.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.