Heterosis and inbreeding depression studies in pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch. ex Poir.)
The investigation was carried out in pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch. ex. Poir.) to study the heterosis and inbreeding depression for yield and yield contributing characters in three possible crosses (Odisha local x Pusa Viswas, Rajasthan local x Pusa Viswas and Ambili x Pusa Viswas) involving four parents (Odisha local, Rajasthan local, Ambili and Pusa Viswas) with four generations (P1, P2, F1and F2) in randomized block design with four replications. Relative heterosis and heterobeltiosis was found to be significant and negative for days to open first female flower, number of node at which first female flower appeared, vine length, fruit weight, fruit polar diameter, fruit equatorial diameter and sex ratio. Positive relative heterosis was observed for number of fruits per vine for most of the crosses. Hence heterosis breeding can be exploited for production of more number of fruits per vine. Significant positive heterobeltiosis was also observed for days to first female flower appearance, fruit weight, fruit equatorial diameter, fruit yield per vine and fruit yield per plot in cross II Rajathan local x Pusa Viswas. The significant inbreeding depression for all the yield characters except number of fruits per vine was observed.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.