Evaluation of TGMS lines for good floral and outcrossing related traits in rice
The objective of present study is to identify promising TGMS lines with desirable floral and out crossing related traits for hybrid rice breeding.A total of seven new TGMS lines were raised during summer 2017 and observed under sterility favouring environment for tgms gene expression.Out of seven TGMS lines, four lines showed the stable performance and two TGMS lines viz., TNAU45S,TNAU60S were shown completely pollen sterile throughout the summer. Variability studies revealed that the characters viz., glume angle, stigma exertion percent and out-crossing per cent showing high GCV, Heritability and Genetic advance could be effectively utilized in selection. Correlation studies showed that the trait glume angle exhibited significant and positive correlation with extent of out crossing and spikelet sterility percent. The four TGMS lines viz., TNAU 39S, TNAU 45S, TNAU 60S, TNAU 95S registered the highest value for angle of glume opening (> 35%), panicle exertion percentage (> 90%) and stigma exertion percentage (> 65%). These lines had wider sterility expression period with very good floral traits viz., higher pollen sterility per cent, panicle and stigma exertion per cent, wider glume opening favorable for enhanced out-crossing rate and seed set percentage during seed production. From this study, the TGMS lines TNAU 39S, TNAU 45S, TNAU 60S and TNAU 95S were identified as promising based on floral and out crossing related traits and will be utilized for future hybrid breeding programmes towards the development of two line hybrids.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.