Combining ability analysis for quantitative traits in China aster [Callistephus chinensis (L.) Nees]
A line x tester analysis was carried out involving 11 divergent genotypes (6 lines and 5 testers) and 30 F1 hybrids of China aster for assessing the combining ability for 13 economic traits, during 2017. The genotypes Matsumoto White and Phule Ganesh Violet among lines and testers, showed good general combining ability for most of the economical traits. The cross combinations Matsumoto Scarlet x Phule Ganesh Violet, Matsumoto White x Phule Ganesh Violet and Matsumoto Red x IIHRJ3-2 showed best specific combining ability for various traits. The variance of sca was the highest for all the traits except for plant spread and days to first flowering which indicated the dominance of additive gene effects. Hence, it was inferred that specific combining ability can be exploited for the creation of novel flower colours and phenotypes.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.