Relationship among grain yield and its component traits in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench) germplasm accessions
The field experiment was carried out by using 101 germplasm accessions along with seven checks during Kharif 2018 in augmented design II to evaluate the association among grain yield and its component traits into direct and indirect effects of traits on the yield. The study was conducted for nine traits viz., plant height, stem diameter, leaf length, leaf width, panicle length, days to 50% flowering, days to maturity, hundred seed weight and grain yield per plant. Association studies indicated that hundred grain weight
(r = 0.294) showed a significant positive correlation with grain yield per plant. This indicates that a strong association of this trait with grain yield per plant that could be fruitfully exploited for enhancing the yield potential in sorghum. Partitioning of yield and yield components into direct and indirect effects revealed that the characters, hundred seed weight (0.2922), leaf width (0.074), panicle length (0.1294) and stem diameter (0.0034) showed a positive direct effect on grain yield per plant. Hence, these results revealed that the characters viz., leaf width, panicle length, and hundred seed weight are important traits for grain yield improvement.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.