Characterization of sesame varieties through image analysis
The identification and discrimination of crop varieties is very crucial for their breeding, variety registration, seed production and certification. Oligogenic morphological characters of seeds are distinct as well as stable and hence can be used for identification of varieties. Digital image analysis is an alternative to the manual classification of biological seed by integrating an image acquisition device and a computer. Data collected on sesame seed characters using grain scanner has significant differences for every observation. The sesame variety, SVPR 1 recorded the highest seed surface area (3.92mm2), perimeter (7.88mm) and length (3.32mm) when compared to all other varieties. Cluster analysis revealed that the varieties could be grouped into two major clusters in which CO 1, TMV 3, TMV 4, TMV 5, TMV 7 formed one cluster whereas the other varieties were grouped under another cluster, which showed that the genotypes in one cluster had similarity in most of the parameters and also its parentage. Thus, image analysis helps in discriminating the morphological variation in seeds related to genotype and its evolution.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.