Correlation analysis for yield, yield components and MYMV disease scores in blackgram (Vigna mungo(L.) Hepper)
The present study was carried out to find the correlation for yield, its attributes and mungbean yellow mosaic virus (MYMV) disease scores in F2 populations derived from two crosses of blackgram viz., MDU 1 × Mash 114 and MDU 1×Mash 1008 and parent MDU 1. F2 populations had MYMV disease score ranged between 1- 9 scale, while the parent MDU 1had 6-9 scale. Correlation studies showed that the trait seed yield per plant (g)had significant and positive correlation with the traits viz., plant height (cm), number of branches per plant, number of cluster per plant, number of pods per cluster, number of pods per plant, pod length (cm) and 100-seed weight (g). Hence, it may be concluded that these characters may be considered as selection index for seed yield per plant in blackgram in both crosses. MYMV disease score had no association with seed yield and component traits in MYMV susceptible parent MDU 1 as well as F2 population. Even though the parent MDU 1 has highly susceptible reaction for MYMV disease, there was no association between disease score and seed yield or yield components. Hence it may be concluded that the susceptible parent MDU 1 has tolerance towards MYMV disease incidence.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.