New multipetalous variety G. Ad.2 of Adenium obesum
Research was conducted on Adenium obesum, a popular flowering pot plant with the basic objective for genetic improvement at Advance Technology Centre of soilless system, Department of Floriculture and Landscape Architecture, NAU, Navsari. Initially, hybridization was done involving ten parents (seven females and three males) in 2014 and their crosses were studied during 2015 to 2016. Among the crosses studied, a germplasm viz., MSDSH1 (Mung Siam x Double Sweet Heart) showed novel morphological character for colour and flower form having attractive purplish coloured ten petals. Further evaluation was carried out for stability and other flowering characters along with its parents viz., Mung Siam and Double Sweet Heart (DSH) and the local germplasm, Local Pink for two years 2016-17 and 2017-18. The MSDSH1 was significantly superior in terms of the number of flowers per cluster (10.23) and flower longevity on plant (11.91 days) as compared to parent and Local Pink as inferred from the pooled data of two years. Flower diameter was significantly superior in DSH at par with MSDSH1 (7.06 cm) while that of Mung Siam was minimum (5.89 cm), although the diameter of corolla was maximum (1.62 cm) in Local Pink while the length of corolla tube (4.01 cm) was maximum in Double Sweet Heart. Further, the maximum flower weight was observed in Double Sweet Heart (1.72 g) which was at par with MSDSH1 (1.61 g). Number of petals was ten in MSDSH1 and Double Sweet Heart as compared to Mung Siam and Local Pink with five petals. Since the genotype MSDSH1 was novel in flower colour with reddish purple shade and morphology with ten multipetalous flower form, besides being superior for the other flowering parameters, especially the number of flowers per cluster and flower longevity on plant, it was renamed as G. Ad.2 and released in SVRC, Gujarat.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.