Identification of superior drought tolerant maize hybrids based on combining ability and heterosis with Line × Tester mating design
Maize (Zea mays) is an important multipurpose cereal crop. Single-cross hybrids play a crucial role in maize cultivation in terms of acreage and production. The combining ability and heterosis are prime criteria for efficacious maize improvement and breeding. This study was focused to access the performances of hybrids, and to estimate heterosis and combining ability for grain yield and yield-related traits. The present study was conducted using 16 parents and 28 F1 cross combinations of maize hybrids during rabi 2019 to identify the best inbred lines and hybrid combinations. The overall study of gca effects suggested that the parents CBM-DL-448, CBM-DL- 435, CBM-DL- 360 and UMI1230 were found to be good general combiners for desirable yield-related traits. Among the hybrids, CBM-DL-360 × UMI 1200, CBM-DL-435 × UMI 1230, and CBM-DL-448 × UMI 1230 exhibited positive and significant sca effects and standard heterosis for single plant yield.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.