Assessment of combining ability, gene action and heterosis for yield and grain characters in rice (Oryza sativa L.)
Twenty four hybrids were tested along with eight lines and three testers for various yield and grain characters to understand the nature of gene action in the inheritance of various traits. gca/sca variance analysis exhibited the dominance of non-additive gene action for the traits viz., plant height, flag leaf length, flag leaf width, spikelet fertility, 1000 grain weight, single plant yield, grain length, grain breadth and L/B ratio. The lines ADT (R) 45, ADT 53, CO 54, ANNA (R) 4 and the testers 3-11-11-1 and 3-11-11-2 were determined to be good general combiners since they have contributed alleles with a positive effect on improving essential characters. The hybrids ADT (R) 45 × 3-11-11-2, ADT 37 × 3-11-11-1, ADT 37 × 3-11-11-2, ADT 53 × 3-11-11-1, CB 12132 × 3-11-11-1, CO 52 × 3-11-11-1, CO 52 × 3-11-11-2, CO 52 × 3-11-11-1 and CO 54 × 3-11-11-1 were found to be good specific combiners. The crosses ADT 37× 3-11-11-2, CB 12132 × 3-11-11-1, ADT 53 × 3-11-11-2, ADT 53 × TR 13069 and CO 54 × 3-11-11-2 demonstrated significant results with respect to mean, sca and standard heterosis. These five crosses can be successfully used in further breeding programmes.
Key words: Line × tester, standard heterosis, combining ability, gene action, rice
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.