Combining ability and Gene action for seed yield and its components in Bread Wheat (Triticum aestivum) (L.) em. Thell]
Keywords: Bread wheat, combining ability, gene action, seed yield
AbstractA line x tester analysis involving 12 females and 4 males was carried out for 12 component traits in bread wheat. The variances
due to specific combining ability (sca) were found to be considerably higher than that of general combining ability (gca) for all
the characters indicating greater importance of non-additive type of gene action thus, the heterosis breeding may be useful.
Variety WH542 and HD2285 was found to be good general combiners for most of the yield contributing traits like spike length,
1000 grain weight etc.and so the crosses involving these parents have fair chances to get better recombinants after judicious
selection. Crosses like PBW459 x RAJ 3777, K9006xUP2425and HD2285x UP2425 are important because they potentially
combine the most of the yield contributing traits`.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.