Variability and association among fruit traits in palmyrah (Borassus flabellifer L.)
Keywords: Palmyrah, variability, correlation
AbstractOne hundred and twenty nine palmyrah genotypes were collected from various parts of India and Fruit characterization was
done.. Variability parameters indicated that high variability exist for fruit weight (g) and weight of shreds (g). Moderate
variability was observed for weight of seed. Low variability was observed for fruit length (cm), fruit diameter (cm), length of
seed (cm), circumference of seed and weight of flesh (g). Hence all the characters except seed weight are good for further
improvement through selection. The correlation studies for eight fruit characters indicated that all traits namely fruit weight (g),
fruit length (cm), fruit diameter (cm), weight of seed (g), length of seed (cm), circumference of seed, weight of flesh (g) and
weight of shreds (g) had significant and positive correlation. Hence simultaneous selection is possible for all these traits in
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.