Heterosis and combining ability in genetic male sterility based diploid cotton hybrids for yield, yield component, fibre quality characters and oil content
Keywords: Genetic male sterility, line x tester analysis, heterosis, combining ability, diploid cotton.
AbstractSixteen genetic male sterility based diploid cotton hybrids along with parents and check were evaluated during Kharif 2012 at Cotton Research Station, Dr.PDKV, Akola to estimate the level of heterosis and combining ability. Among the lines GAK-8615 exhibited significant gca effect for more number of characters viz., days to 50% flowering, number sympodia per plant, number boll per plant and seed cotton yield per plant. Among the testers, AKA-7 exhibited significant gca effects for seed cotton yield per plant and 2.5% span length. The genetic male sterility based hybrids GAK-8615 x AKA-7 and GAK-8615 x AKA-0209 were found to be highly heterotic for seed cotton yield, number of bolls per plant and oil content. For fibre quality traits, hybrids (viz.,)GAK-423 x AKA-0209, GAK-423 x AKA-7, GAK-8615 x AKA-9703, GAK-423 x AKA-9009-1, GAK-423 x AKA-5 were found to be promising.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.