Identifying heterotic combinations for yield and quality traits in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)
An experiment was conducted to estimate the nature and magnitude of heterosis for grain yield, its components and quality traits in a diallel cross of eight genetically diverse wheat genotypes excluding reciprocals. Highly significant differences were observed among the genotypes for all the traits studied. Significant heterobeltiosis, average heterosis and standard heterosis was observed in the cross BL 3065 x DBW 16 with a value 39.64, 54.59 and 54.30, respectively over the check variety, UP 2554 and it was adjudged best heterotic cross combination for grain yield per plant. The cross UP 2596 x NAPHAL exhibited significant positive standard heterosis for number of tillers per plant and spikelets per spike over the check. The cross UP 2754 x NAPHAL exhibited highest and significant positive heterosis over better parent and mid parent for grains protein content. These crosses can be used in developing high yielding cultivar with good quality traits.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.