Genetic variability and correlation studies in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.)
The present study was conducted in order to investigate genetic variability and to understand the relationship and contribution of characters towards total dry matter and root length. The investigation was carried out at Main Agricultural Research Station, UAS, Raichur during Rabi 2012-13, 32 genotypes were evaluated in RBD fashion under root structures. At flowering stage all morphological and root characters were scored. The total dry matter content was assessed after drying the root, stem, leaf, petiole and flower of the plant at 70 0C in an oven.. High GCV coupled with high PCV recorded for most of the characters except stem girth, SPAD reading and number of leaves, indicating more variability for these traits and are less influenced by the environment. High heritability coupled with high GAM reported for all the traits under study suggested for the greater effectiveness for selection and improvement expected for these traits in future generations. The total dry matter and root length had very highly significant positive association with plant height, root volume, fresh root weight, dry root weight, fresh stem weight, dry stem weight, fresh leaf weight and dry leaf weight indicating the importance of root characters in determining the moisture stress tolerance and putforthing the total dry matter content of the plant.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.