A new variety of Indian Bean-2 for Saurashtra and Middle Gujarat
To boost-up Indian Bean production in the Gujarat state, a new high yielding Light green “Gujarat Junagadh Indian Bean-2”(GJIB-2) developed by Vegetable Research Station, Junagadh Agricultural University, Junagadh, which was evaluated under state and co-ordinated trials during 2004-05 to 2011-12 at various locations along with check variety Gujarat Papdi-1. On the basis of mean green pod yield data, GJIB-2 recorded the highest green pod yield of 112.46 q/ha as compared to check variety Gujarat Papdi-1 (89.56 q/ha), which was 25.57% higher. The pods of this culture are flat and medium long in shape with green colour. Flowers are white in colour. Regarding quality parameters; The Moisture (82.53%), Protein (4.69%), Acidity (2.26%), Total phenol mg/100g (32.64 mg/100g) and Total Soluble Sugar (2.23%) was more in fresh grain seeds of proposed culture as compared to check variety GP-1. The leaf spot disease intensity at Junagadh was 11.00% in GJIB-2 and it was less than the check variety GP-1 (13.19%). The leaf blight disease intensity was also less in culture GJIB-2 (11.52%) as compared to check variety GP-1 (13.40%). The mean data of Junagadh and Anand centers on pod borer damage indicated that, the pod borer damage was higher in proposed GJIB-2. It was 13.87% as compared to check variety GP-1 (11.68%). Number of mines per leaf at Junagadh was 3.36 in GJIB-2 and it was less than check variety GP-1 (4.52)
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.