Genetic analysis of fibre quality and yield related traits in desi cotton (Gossypium arboreum L.)
The present investigation was undertaken in 48 desi cotton genotypes to study the genetic divergence and character association for fibre quality and yield related traits. The results of Mahalanobis D2 analysis indicated the presence of considerable genetic divergence among the genotypes. They were grouped into nine clusters. The crosses made between the genotypes of cluster V (NDLA-3066) with cluster VII (NDLA 3105-5) followed by cluster IX (NDLA 3147-2) with cluster VII (NDLA 3105-5) and cluster VI (NDLA-2974) with cluster VII (NDLA 3105-5) are expected to give desirable segregants. Of the 15 characters studied, elongation percentage, seed cotton yield, UHML, bundle strength and lint yield contributed maximum towards divergence. The correlation study showed significant positive association of boll weight and lint yield with seed cotton yield per plant at both phenotypic and genotypic levels. So, increase in seed cotton yield per plant can be attained by the improvement of boll weight and lint yield in breeding programme.
Keywords: Desi cotton, genetic divergence, correlation, clusters, fibre quality, yield.
Genetic analysis of fibre quality and yield related traits in desi cotton Gossypium arboreum L.. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 3, 833-840. Retrieved from https://www.ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4477
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.