Genetic analysis of polygenic traits in maize
Maize is one of the important cereals in the world. It is a good source of carbohydrates (70-87%) and protein (6-13%). To develop a high-yielding variety of any crop, heritability and genetic advance are important selection parameters for the selection of yield and yield attributes. In this regard, the present investigation was carried out at the Namdeo Umaji Agri Tech India Private Limited, Pune, during Kharif, 2022 to study the extent of variability among maize genotypes. Observations were recorded on 19 polygenic traits and the mean values were subjected to statistical analyses. High GCV and PCV were recorded for anthesis and silking interval, number of leaves, lodging percentage, number of kernels per row and grain yield per plant. High heritability accompanied by high genetic advance was noted for anthesis and silking interval, lodging percentage, grain yield per plant, number of leaves per plant, number of kernels per row, number of tassel branches, leaf width, days to 50% silking, protein content, leaf length, number of kernel rows per cob, cob diameter and cob length. It indicates that these traits are governed by additive gene action and selection will be rewarding for improving these traits in maize.
Keywords: Heritability, Variability, Genetic Advance, GCV, PCV, Zea mays.
Genetic analysis of polygenic traits in maize. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 3, 1185-1190. Retrieved from https://www.ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4743
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.