Evaluation of different varieties of anthurium (Anthurium andraeanum Linden Ex André) for cut flower product ion under Shevaroys Hills
A study was conducted to evaluate thirteen anthurium cultivars at Horticultural Research Station, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Yercaud during 2012 - 2014 for quantitative and qualitative characters. Significant differences were observed for all the characters studied. The cultivar Claisto recorded the highest plant height (66.00 cm) and Fantasia recorded the maximum plant spread (73.20 cm). Cultivars Fantasia and Calsito produced the maximum number of leaves per plant (5.0). The leaf length was maximum in Calisto (33.54 cm) and minimum leaf breadth was recorded in Marysia (13.40 cm). The maximum number of suckers was recorded in Cultivars Lumina (3.14 no) and Rosa, Titicaca and Angel (3.04 no).With respect to the floral parameters cultivar Calisto recorded maximum petiole length (37.00 cm) and highest stalk length (41.00 cm). Fantasia and Calisto recorded the highest spathe length (12.67 cm) followed by Lumina (12.50 cm) and DO 32 (11.15 cm). Fantasia recorded the highest Spathe width of 13.50 cm and highest spadix length of 6.59 cm. Maximum number of spikes per plant per year was in cultivar Calisto (8.00 nos). The effect of holding solutions on the vase life of cut spikes was assessed. Among them, Sucrose 5%+ Al2(SO4)3 300ppm+ Kinetin 25ppm showed the highest vase life of 29.00 days recoreded in Calisto followed by Fanstasia (28 days) and Titicaca (27.00 days).It could be concluded from the present investigation that out of thirteen cultivars evaluated the cultivar Fanstasia and Calisto were found to be the best cultivars both in yield and quality for cut flower production under Shevaroy condition of Eastern Ghat.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.